Thursday, January 23, 2014

Compton ain't what it used to be

Richard Sherman certainly sparked nationwide debate.  My Facebook and Twitter were chock full of differing reactions to Mr. Sherman's rant for a few days.  I honestly did not catch the whole game, we left to go see Lone Survivor at half time.  After seeing varying reactions and hearing mumbles at work, I finally got around to watching the clip.  My first reaction - what the heck is L.O.B.?  Guess that shows my Seattle fanhood.  For my fellow uninitiates, it stands for Legion Of Boom, a nickname for the Seahawks shutdown secondary. 
A lot of the reaction to Richard Sherman is that he is a thug, that he is what's wrong with America, and the "definition of _________" (insert racial slur there).  I went into watching the clip having heard and read all of these things.  The main reason I looked up L.O.B. is because I thought that HAD to be the thuggish part. Nothing else was. 
Let's put this in perspective.  Richard Sherman had made a gigantic play that sealed what was probably the biggest win in his career.  He was excited.  Who wouldn't be?  This was probably what he had dreamed of since he was a little boy. Not only was it a huge game-deciding play, it was a huge game-deciding play over someone that he had an established rivalry with.  Someone that he probably looks forward to beating.  After all that a reporter shoves a microphone in his face and asks him some questions.  His response consisted of a whole lot of yelling, particularly in Crabtree's direction. Erin Andrews was not an interviewer as much as a conduit for his excitement and anger.
Replay what he said.  He challenged Crabtree, rebuffed an earlier statement, and pumped himself up as the best at his position.  Not once did he swear, speak overtly violently, or say anything about the "thug life".  Honestly, I am impressed by his restraint.  How many 25 year olds aren't going to swear right after a play like that?  He had the composure to not do something like that, even if he was yelling. 
In my definition, Richard Sherman is not a thug. Nor a disgrace.  If I am being honest, I prefer the Barry Sanders type of player. Low key, respectful, workmanlike.  Richard Sherman did not gain me as a fan through his post game interview.  However, he did not shock or turn me way.  To me, he's like 99% of the NFL.  A guy whose name I know, but don't harbor any specific feelings for or against.
An athlete needs to be confident to the point of arrogance.  I can tell from my personal "athletic career" that one of the things I have been missing is that confidence.  In jiu jitsu, it takes gall to try some of the submissions.  Otherwise, you could very well end up in a bad spot.  You guessed it, I normally do not go for those submissions.  To be an athlete is to put every ounce of your being into yourself.  You have to believe that the long painful workouts, strict diet, time away from family and friends, will make you the best in your chosen sport.  Otherwise, what is it all for?  You need to believe that you are the best, even more so in a solo sport. 
My friend pointed out today that athletes are not historically judged based on their demeanor.  I can guarantee you that none of us would want to compete against Michael Jordan in anything.  However, he is idolized as one of the all time greats.  I am guilty of this too.  Floyd Mayweather Jr. bugs me with his arrogance.  And yet, I have a poster of Muhammad Ali up in my man cave. 
That same friend posed a question to me.  At the end of the day, would I take Richard Sherman on my football team if I was the head coach.  Let's see, he is one of the premier players at his position, is valued in his community, and has never had legal problems.  I'll take him every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment